This evening my kitchen smelled like one huge rafaello chocolate !! It was amazing!
The cause of this was a coconut cake which I had decided to bake after weeks of wanting to try it. I had found an old recipe which I had stored ages ago with my little notes of tweaks that I had wanted to change when I tried it.
So, why had I left it for such a long time and not baked it sooner? Let’s just say a combo of laziness and an attempt at cutting down on unhealthy stuffs. The cutting down on unhealthy stuffs working out pretty well I must add..
I think my neighbor and good friend, on whom I usually ply my goodies with, must worry I’ve forgotten to bake :-/ it’s been that long since we swopped treats!
5 eggs, separated
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup oil – I used 1 cup coconut oil instead
1 teaspoon almond extract- I used coconut extract instead
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk – I used coconut milk instead
1 cup shredded coconut
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1.Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
2.In a large bowl, beat sugar, butter and oil until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well. Beat in vanilla essence and coconut extract.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk / coconut milk, beat well after each addition.
4. Add cream of tartar to egg whites and whip till stiff peaks form. Fold into the batter.
5. Pour into greased baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until done.
6. Cool for 5 minutes then turn onto wire racks to cool completely.
7. Frost with your favorite cream cheese frosting ( I added a few drops of coconut extract to mine)
8. Sandwich the cakes and top with shredded coconut.
– I make always keep a batch of buttercream in the freezer.
– To this I add as much cream cheese as needed to give it the desired taste.