Marinated in a blend of balsamic vinegar, herbs and spice, before being slow cooked in the oven, this recipe is quite simple whilst imparting amazing flavours.
BALSAMIC BRAISED LAMB SHANK
2 lamb shanks
Flour for dusting
Salt to taste
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
3 tsp red chili powder
2 tbls Olive oil
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1 full tsp Crushed garlic
2 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped plus 1 sprig left whole
2 sprigs thyme, finely chopped plus 1 sprigs left whole
1 large tomato – grated
Zest of 1/2 a large orange
Juice of 1 large orange
1/2 cup good balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup brown vinegar
– marinate the shanks in the salt, pepper, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, crushed garlic, chili powder, rosemary, thyme, orange zest, orange juice, balsamic, grated tomato and vinegar.
– heat the oil in a heavy based pot and preheat the oven to 200 deg C.
– lightly dust the shanks in flour and place in pot.
– sear to seal.
– remove shanks from the pot and place in an oven proof dish.
– top with a sprig of rosemary and thyme
– cover with foil and place in the oven at 200 deg C for 30 minutes, thereafter reduce the heat to 180 deg C for the remaining hour or hour and half till the meat is tender.
– remove from oven, leave to rest for 10 minutes while covered in the foil before serving with roasted veg.
HONEY ROASTED VEG
Chopped veg of your choice
1 tbls honey
Salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Sprig of Rosemary
Sprig of thyme
1 tsp crushed garlic
– toss veg with the above ingredients
– place in an oven proof dish
– cover with foil
– bake at 180 deg C for approximately an hour or till done.