An enchilada is a corn tortilla rolled around a filling and covered with a chili pepper sauce. Enchiladas can be filled with a variety of ingredients, including meat, cheese, beans, potatoes, vegetables, seafood or combinations.
During our fasting month of Ramadaan I had some leftover sliced viennas and chips which were mixed in sauces ( mayo, tomato sauce, chilli sauce and mustard sauce ) and so I decided to put together some Mexican styled enchiladas with a twist..
Quick and easy.. yes, as you’ll read in most of my posts I’m a big fan of meals that can be made up at the last minute with minimal hassle 🙂 This dish is flavourful, colorful and great as a side or as a main. The filling is easily interchangeable with a traditional steak, chicken or mince enchilada filling.
Enchiladas With A Twist
2-3 Viennas, chopped
+_ 1 potato cut into chips and fried
Sauces of your choice
1 tin baked beans
Chilli sauce of your choice
Sliced red onion
Some sliced olives
3-4 Baby tomatoes
3-4 Tortilla rotis
– Lightly flash fry your chopped Vienna or polony.
– To a dish add the meat, along with the fried chips. Mix in sauces if your choice.
– Open a tortilla and fill with the meat and chips filling. Roll to close. Fill the remainder of your tortillas.
– Place filled tortillas into an oven save dish.
– Empty out the baked beans into a dish or bowl, add some chilli sauce to flavour- I used a generous dollop of The Sandwich Man ‘Crystals’ sauce. Mix well.
– Top the tortillas with the the baked beans mixture.
– Top the beans with cheese.
– Thereafter top the cheese with crumbled feta, jalapeños, olives, red onion, halved tomato as per your taste.
– bake in a preheated oven at 180 deg C till heated and the cheese has melted.
– serve with guacamole